Wednesday 20 November 2013

Generation Two - Chapter Four: Welcome to Oasis Landing

Shannon's point of view.

I know I must be mad to do this, but this thing, this metal contraption has been sitting in our front yard for goodness knows how long. After witnessing Blaine breaking down consistently and not being able to find anything here in Dragon Valley (we are so far behind with technology here) I wondered if there was a silver lining of sorts. I mean really, this place is still so medieval in more ways than one.  We should move forward, but the majority of people here are just happy to live in the now.

Life's been lonely without Austin around. Sure I have the girls, but they're moving onwards now with their own independent lives. And then there's Blaine. Poor rusty little mechanical man. I only allow him to potter around the place simply because he was one of those little quirks that Austin introduced into our lives. So I am loath to let him go really.

But I digress. I was talking about the metal contraption. Not a clue where it came from but it is the talk of the town. I know there are whispers about the 'odd family of fairies' and honestly? I do not care. I'd rather be a curiosity for people to gawk at, because that leaves other poor folks alone.

As Austin used to remind me, hey baby don't worry about what people think. Be yourself. As long as you are happy doing that, who cares? Eh babes?

Anyways, after tapping the footplate a couple of times (and seriously hoping that nothing happens), the bugger started up! I was stunned, shocked. So much so that I had to step back otherwise I'd have landed on my butt! Then from the bright glow, the shape of a man appeared and stepped out.

He was very odd looking with blue hair and an outfit that seemed to have glowing seams inserted into the fabric.

Greetings benevolent one.
I wish.
Um hello?
This is the right address I presume? The Powers family? Yes?


He had me at a loss for words, this odd little man.

Um, yes?

Oh boy, have I got a wonderful surprise for you.
Oh really? (I wasn't falling for his charms - if ever he tried to apply them that is - besides he looked rather pompous and full of himself so I indulged him)
I have yes, hold this please.


He handed me a metal case with a clasp on it.

This .... is a time almanac. Take good care of it and it'll help you whenever you need it.

I couldn't resist. I really couldn't.

For ... what?
For your adventures into the future, that's what! Any time traveller will tell you that.

Time .... traveller? Is he on something or what? This is ludicrous, there's no such thing as time travel. Or at least there wasn't the last time I looked. Although as I said earlier, Dragon Valley is so behind with the times that we are positively archaic.

I looked at him with positive indulgence and wondered who on earth - or wherever - he was.

Oh forgive me, I didn't introduce myself. I am Emit Relevart - time traveller extraordinaire and your guide into the future.
You mean there really IS such a thing as time travel?
But of course. I have spent many an aeon perfecting this portal and travelling through time, space and many other vortices.
Is it ... safe?
Of course it is. Although some folks do tend to suffer from travel sickness a couple of times when they travel.
And should I go through this portal, the present won't be affected in any way? I won't find my family has vanished or whatever?
Nope, the only thing that will change ... is the future, simply because that's one area that isn't fixed and prone to many variables.
Can I travel to the past?
No. sadly that cannot happen.
Oh, so once I go there, I cannot return?
Oh, I never said that. Um, what actually happens is that everybody has a different signature DNA strand that the portal recognises. It also remembers whereabouts you were in the 'present' and is programmed to send you back without any time being lost whatsoever.
Sounds complicated.
Try it.
Um, I'm not so sure.
You can see your family in the future there.
We survive? Please, tell me we survive and we are successful.
Hop aboard and see for yourself.


So .... after nervously stepping into the portal, within a few nanoseconds, (as far as I know, it could have been hours, days,weeks even years in this thing), I finally stepped out into a wonderous, bright, clean looking place.


Emit was standing there waiting for me. How he managed to do that I really honestly don't know and I resisted the temptation to ask him.

Welcome to Oasis Landing and your home until you wish to return back to your original abode. Any questions?
This..... this is ..... marvellous! It is ..... gorgeous.... it is...... words fail me here!
It is a nice place isn't it?


What are they like for schools and education and all that?
They have geniuses by the dozen here. Nobody is overlooked.
Oh that's good. Technology is far in advance I presume?
More than you'll ever know.
You said I could see my family here.
All in good time ....
They are here.... aren't they?
You'll see.
Stop being vague, I want to know now.

I swear he smiled indulgently at me. I know I sounded like a kid demanding to know everything, but the prospects of seeing my family was just too much. It really was.

There are two branches of your descendants living here, and doing pretty well for themselves. They have a strong family bond because they live not far from one another.

I was so excited that I had a whole heap of wishes that I wanted to do whilst I was here. but I focused on just the one.

Sooo, how long can I stay here?
As long as you want, there's no time limit at all.
Oh good, then I've got loads of time to explore and do stuff like meet the family.
Yes.
Anything of interest here?
There's Legacy Park, that's always a popular choice.
Ohh I'd like to go there, if that's ok.
Of course, but here's something that you might find useful for getting around though.

He handed me a jet pack.

Try this on for size and see what it feels like.

I did and wow, it felt amazing, didn't crush my wings at all. Mind you, being a fairy myself, the whole concept of flying wasn't exactly new to me. At least I didn't fall head first into the ground! I even impressed Emit.

I must admit, you have adapted pretty well already. No travel sickness, and using a jet pack with relative ease. I'd say you were definitely destined to live your life here in Oasis Landing. I can see you are eager to explore, so I'll let you go a wandering and check out everything we have to offer here in Oasis Landing.

And so I did, I headed to Legacy Park where I met with a few locals, although I swear this poor man's wife wasn't too happy to see me chatting to her husband. She kept glaring daggers at me so I thought I'd better scarper before the claws came out.


There was one statue there that intrigued me. It was of a woman who had won the lottery .... and gave it all away to charity! Ohhh to be that woman and be immortalised here in Legacy Park.


It made me wonder if our numbers ever came up. I wanted to go check but wasn't quite sure where that would actually take place. Thankfully my jet pack also came with a map of the town as well as a route and venue locator.

I headed off to City Hall to check the records, but unfortunately they didn't have any for us. Oh never mind, it was worth a try anyways.

I tell you what though, I am really impressed with this town and what it had to offer. I look forward to exploring much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment