Friday 29 August 2014

Chasing A Dream

Both Sophie and Nessa had to admit, it had been one eventful term at university as they packed their things and got ready to leave. Sophie chewed over the idea of leaving Pat behind. But decided against it and shoved him deep into the corner of her backpack. There are some things you simply cannot do. Despite their differences and turbulent relationship, she couldn't bring herself to abandon him completely. It just didn't seem fair at all.

Besides, once they got home, she had plans. Really BIG plans.

They arrived at Dragon Valley, right in the middle of the darkest, most dreary weather possible. The clouds were so thick that the sun could barely manage to peek through. Despite being shrouded in darkness, one solitary rainbow managed to illuminate and shine. Maybe it was a sign? Maybe not. You never really knew with the people of Dragon Valley. They were a superstitious lot indeed ... and set in their ways. It just needed one person - just one - to stand up and be counted.


 Shannon was sat waiting for them, a half smile on her face.


Sophie, even though she was a young adult now, reverted back to her old naughty teen self and tried to sneak upstairs.

Nessa: Sophie, what are you doing?
Sophie: Sneaking in.
Nessa: Why? Mom knows we're here, I texted her a little while ago.
Sophie: Ah crap.
Shannon: In here girls, Sophie? I'd like a word with you.
Nessa: Someone's in trouble.


All Sophie could do was to narrow her eyes at her sister and frown. Nessa marched boldly into the kitchen.

Nessa: I'm starving, can I have some chocolate?
Shannon: Go ahead, there's plenty in the cupboards.
Nessa: Sweet!

She headed straight for the chocolate fountain.


Nessa: Mind if I use this? It's been standing here for like forever.
Shannon: Yeah, yeah, go ahead.


Downstairs in the basement, whilst Blaine was still working on his 'invention' (the Time Machine), Sonny Em and J1NX1E were in their pods charging their batteries.


Shannon didn't really want anybody to overhear their conversation so she pulled Sophie to one side.

Shannon: Are you okay?
Sophie: I'm ... fine. Mom, you're acting strange, anything wrong?
Shannon: I heard about the deaths, terrible, just terrible
Sophie: Yeah, we know, we phoned you and told you.
Shannon: You ... haven't been doing anything silly on campus .. have you?
Sophie: MOM!


Shannon: I know, I'm well out of order, but I got a call from a Professor Wade Anthony the other day. He was most persistent.
Sophie: Oh that old busybody.
Shannon: Actually, we had a lovely chat, and he was quite pleasant to me ... and very knowledgeable too. He's quite the scholar. Did you know, in his spare time, he has been making it his life's work to study the Fae and all of their ancestry?
Sophie: Not this again.
Shannon: What? What did he say?
Sophie: Before I came home the last time from uni, he left a note telling me to ask you about Question Six, whatever that was.
Shannon: I'm sorry, I don't follow.
Sophie: Look, he was a nuisance, he kept sending text messages, calling me all the time, sending invites to parties knowing that I was too tired from studying. The man just couldn't take no for an answer.
Shannon: Well, like it or not, he has uncovered a great gaping hole in our lives, in everyone's lives here in Dragon Valley. I think you should at least listen to what he's got to say.


Sophie rolled her eyes and groaned.

Sophie: Fine, but first, I've got to get a job.
Shannon: What was wrong with the job you have at the Spa?
Sophie: Folding towels isn't for me. I need to think much bigger than that.

Shannon nodded sagely.

Shannon: Well, if you insist. You do realise that it is going to be a long hard slog.
Sophie: I know, but I think it'll be worth it in the end.
Shannon: I hope so, don't want you changing your mind halfway through.

Shannon glanced at the clock and yawned.

Shannon: I'd better head off to bed, it's getting late and I've got files to report in the morning. Take care, and think about what I told you, okay.
Sophie: Sure, but Mom?
Shannon: Yes?
Sophie: Why me? Why not anybody else?
Shannon: Because you have been nominated heiress to continue the bloodline.
Sophie: What's that got to do with anything?
Shannon: You are the one in control now. Besides, it's not my place to uncover family secrets. That is your job now.

Sophie shook her head. Her mind was spinning with all the riddles and half truths that were flying around, even in her own home. Grabbing the newspaper, she read through it, hoping to find her perfect job.


Nothing.

She tried the computer, since that had many more options.


Still nothing.


The rain continued to pound away on the roof of their house. The gloomy atmosphere mirrored Sophie's own mood. Perhaps she was foolish to pursue her dreams? Maybe that opportunity would never arise and she'd be stuck ... wanting and wishing.

"I'm going to bed," she muttered, "my head hurts."

No comments:

Post a Comment