Sunday 24 August 2014

Professors, Parties And The Powers Girls

Backtracking a little here, (I saved before they left the Meet and Greet). Just after Nessa managed to grab herself a freebie from the vending machine, she had the distinct feeling that she was being watched. And rightly so. By none other than Professor Anthony himself. Just the intensity of his stare was enough for her to feel just a little uncomfortable. So she approached him.


 "Did I do something wrong?" she asked innocently.

He smiled, a little. Only a little mind you. Then shook his head.

"If you're talking about stealing from the vending machine ..."
"Oh, no, it was just a little loose, I ... I shook it a little ...."
"There's no need to apologise. Not a day goes by when a student goes on a head to head battle with a vending machine."
"Ah ... erm ... good."

He studied her closely, frowning slightly.


"You look familiar, but I ... can't seem to place you."
"I'm Vanessa, Nessa to my friends. I'm with Sophie."
"Sophie ... Sophie.... OH! You mean Miss Powers?"
"Yep, that's my sister!"
"How is she?"
"She's good. She's come back to finish her degree."
"I am glad, she has potential. A lot of potential."


There was an awkward silence after that, as both parties tried to think of something, anything to say to one another. The small talk was getting them nowhere fast, and it was beginning to bore Nessa rigid. Besides, Professor Anthony looked as though he was trying to say something, but couldn't quite articulate. He stared at her.

"What?"
"I'm sorry, it's just that ... you look so familiar to me. Are you Fae?"
"Huh?"


Just then, Sophie arrived and interrupted them.

"Professor, hi. Nice to meet you. How are you?"
"Sophie! Glad to see you again. I hear you are continuing your Fine Arts degree."
"That I am."

At that moment, Nessa's phone beeped as a message came through. It was a kegger party invite from frat boy Miles Forthright. Nessa almost squealed with delight.


"A party? AWESOME! You betcha I'll be there!"

Sophie smiled at her sister's excited reaction, then turned back to the professor.

"Before you ask, no I didn't ask my mom, such a lot has been going on lately at home that I didn't get the chance."
"That's a pity."
"Why?"
"Well, it would have been so much better if it had come from your mother."
"Professor, you're not making much sense."


He glanced at his watch, scribbled on a slip of paper and handed it to her, then bowed ever so slightly.

"I've got to go, sorry. It's getting late and I've got to teach class in the morning, prepare a presentation etc. But if you do have the time, check this out in the library. You'll find it enlightening indeed. And it'll answer many of your questions."

"I'd better go too. Keep an eye on my sister for a while."

**********

During the study group, Sophie began to yawn. It had been a long day - travelling, settling in, keeping an eye on Nessa. Besides, her class was an early one at the arts academy.

"I'm turning in Ness, you'll be okay?"
"Yeah, of course. Besides, I've been invited to a kegger party."
"So you've been hinting at all evening. Just take care okay, and make sure you get back home in time for class."
"Pfft, it's not until noon. I'll be back by then."
"Okay, night then."
"Soph?"
"Yeah?"
"Never mind."
"Go on."
"I was just going to ask if I could borrow your kenspa."
"Not if you're going to be drunk. Besides, there are plenty of bikes on campus. Borrow one of those."
"Ah, okay. See you soon."

After a shower and a bite to eat, Sophie headed off to bed. The minute her head hit the pillow, she was out cold, snoring slightly. Nessa in the meantime, grabbed one of the bikes outside the dorm and pedalled to the frat house to join the party.

What she hadn't anticipated, was the fact that it was swimwear, and she was the only girl invited. For once, she felt a little self conscious and lurked outside whilst the party raved on indoors. 


She was joined by another student.


"Hey, can I help you?"
"Hey. No, I'm good, thanks. I got an invite to this kegger, by a Miles Forthright."
"That's erm ... me."
"Oh, then what are you doing out here?"
"I ... uh... was checking the kegs, see if they're full."

Nessa smirked. By the looks of things, this student had been put up with a dare to throw a party, expecting nobody to turn up. And now he was hiding outside because he couldn't handle the crowds indoors.

"You got any food? I'm starving."
"No, sorry, just drinks."
"Ah, crap. I'm starving."
"Sorry."
"Oh well, better join the throng then. See you around."
"Yeah, okay."

The party raved until the early hours, when Nessa checked the clock in the house and blanched.

"Ah crap. I've got to get back. My class is in four hours!"

In a desperate bid to get home, exhausted, smelly, bursting for the loo and hungry, she wobbled along the road on her bike, the chilly air whipping around her semi naked body. (yep, she was still in her swimwear, cycling home in the early hours of the morning)


She bolted up the stairs and headed for the bathroom. Time was ticking onwards and her hunger still gnawed at her. Whipping out the can of soda, she drank the whole lot down, hoping that the sugar rush would sustain her for a couple more hours.


It didn't.

It hit her bladder full force, and she peed herself!


Oh Nessa. You really need to balance partying with studying a little more.



No comments:

Post a Comment