Tuesday 26 August 2014

Red Roses

Nessa had been to class but during the lesson, she felt a little off, light-headed and her head felt woolly. But she kept herself sitting at her desk until class was over. She'd barely got through the dorm door when she collapsed in a dead faint. Nobody was around to tend to her, so she avoided the embarrassment of people seeing her falling to the floor.

 She barely had enough energy to drag herself upstairs to their shared room. By then, Sophie had arrived back from her class. She'd been feeling tense all through her class, sensing something was wrong. Her professor had announced that there was a mysterious illness going through the campus and for students to be aware and keep drinking plenty of fluids. She was shocked to see her own sister hardly able to walk.

"You okay sis?"
"Do I look it?"
"Um, no. Want anything to drink? Juice perhaps?"
"Thanks, but no. I just want to sleep."
"Can I help you?"
"Please."

Leaning on Sophie, Nessa finally made it to her own bed. They stopped and she turned to Sophie.

"Can you do me a favour, please?"
"Sure, anything."
"Can you share a bed with me. I ... I don't think I want to sleep alone tonight."
"Of course I can. You don't have to ask me twice."

Despite being exasperated by Nessa's boundless energy, Sophie always had a soft spot for her sister. She helped her to change into her sleepwear. It felt really odd, this helpless Sim sitting on the edge of the bed, quietly allowing her sister to dress her.

"Want me to create an aura of soothing for you?"
"Nah, keep that one for yourself. Don't want you running out of energy now do we?"

Sophie didn't feel too tired, but she happily obliged by snuggling into her sister. Nessa felt so hot, she was burning up, but kept the blankets over her as the two of them slept.


The phone rang incessantly, but thanks to Sophie's Heavy Sleeper trait, she missed the call. It was probably another invite to yet another party. Her priorities had changed. Her sister was sick and needed her more than ever.

Neither of them heard the interloper trying to serenade them with Nessa's guitar either.


The next morning, Nessa woke up feeling a little better. So she phoned home to speak to her mother.


"Hi mom, how's things?"

She listened to her mother intently, a sudden pang of homesickness struck her.

"Yeah, I'm okay. A bit run down. Think I'm studying too hard..... yeah, Sophie's keeping an eye on me..... no, I'm okay, tired I guess."

Sophie, after waking up, checked her phone for messages....
... and growled.


"Dammit!"


"Hang on mom, didn't catch that. Soph, what's up?"
"That ... man... ohhh he is soooo persistent."
"It's ok mom, Sophie's complaining about a guy..... no, he didn't send her a vase of red roses.... did he Soph?"


"I'll throw them right back at him if he did. He's a bloody nuisance, that's what he is. Who the hell does he think he is?"
"I'd better go mom, got class soon, better get ready. Love you too."

Sophie approached Nessa and felt her forehead.

"Hmm, you don't appear to be sick and your temperature is down. But I still think you should skip class."

Nessa nodded.

"I'll go take a shower, freshen up a little, have something to eat then study for a while."
"Good thinking, I'm hungry so I'll grab a bite now. See you when I get back."
"Ok."

Sophie had barely sat down to eat, when a dormie approached her. It was plainly obvious that he'd never seen anything like her before, because he couldn't drag his eyes away from her wings.


"Oh WOW!! Are those real?"
"Uh huh."
"Oh wow. That's .... unreal."
"Er, do you have a point or something?"
"Actually, yeah."
"And that is....?"
"You're sitting in my chair."

Sophie was too distracted to pick a fight, so she simply shook her head, grabbed her backpack and headed out of the door. But not before checking on Nessa who was sitting quietly, nose in her book.


"See you later sis."
"Yeah, okay. Don't stay out too late!"
"I'll try not to, you going to be okay?"

No comments:

Post a Comment